Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa (RSMS) (subclass 187)

- Niraj Shrestha
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa (RSMS) (subclass 187) visa is a permanent employer nominated visa which requires a job in regional Australia. This visa is for skilled workers who want to work in regional Australia in accordance with one of the three streams- the Temporary Residence transition stream, the Agreement stream and the Direct Entry stream. 
The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for 457 visa holders who have worked full-time in the same occupation with the nominating employer for 2 years and the employer wants to offer them a permanent position. The Agreement stream is for those who are sponsored by an employer via a labour agreement. For this visa, age, skills and English requirement must be met in order to be eligible to apply for this. Whilst the Direct Entry Stream is available for visa applicants who have never or very briefly worked in Australia or those who aren’t eligible for the Temporary Residence Transition stream. 
There are generally 3 stages to an RSMS application:
1. RCB Certification: the position you applied for must be genuine and the Regional Certification body must certify that the nominated occupation can’t be filled locally or are in demand.
2. Nomination: review of the business and position by the Department of Immigration
3. Visa application: the lodgment of visa application by the employee
To be eligible to apply for this visa, the applicant must be nominated by an approved Australian employer for a job in regional Australia. The following are considered regional areas for the purpose of migration and for RSMS visa.
• The whole of Western Australia
• The whole of South Australia
• The whole of Tasmania
• Anywhere in Northern Territory
• Anywhere in ACT
• Victoria-except Melbourne
• Queensland-except greater Brisbane
• New South Wales-except Sydney, Wollongong and Newcastle
The employee must be below the age of 50, must meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements, and also must be nominated by an approved Australian employer. This visa can only be applied for if you have been nominated by an employer in Australia, but an Expression of Interest via SkillSelect may be lodged in the circumstances that you do not have a sponsor employer. 
Prior to lodgment, the applicant must ensure that an Employer nomination has been lodged. A valid nomination reference number will need to be obtained from the nominating employer and the appropriate and most suitable stream must be selected.
If you are applying under Direct Entry Stream, the applicant must meet the requirement of competent English at the time of application. The applicant needs to show he or she has 6 in each band in IELTS unless they are the citizens of USA, Canada, UK, the Republic of Ireland or New Zealand. If the application is under Temporary Residence Stream, the applicant must meet the evidence of vocational English which is 5 in each band in IELTS. When we lodge the visa application, the applicant needs to keep in mind the following things:
• The visa application will require the submission of several documents for the purpose of identification and in relation to the assessment of criteria and suitability of the visa. 
• An Application type including the selected stream
• Date of birth
• Passport number
• Country of passport.
The applicants need to pay visa application fee at the time of application and the application fee depends on how many applicants are included in the application. Depending on the condition, the applicant may have to pay second installment visa fee. One of the reasons is if the secondary applicant who is over 18 years of age doesn’t meet the requirement of functional English. This second installment payment covers three years of English language instruction through the Adult Migrant English Program. Other costs, such as costs for health assessments, police certificates or other tests and documentation, may be charged. 
You need a valid passport or other travel document for this visa. If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. If you get a new passport after you have lodged your application, give the details of your new passport to one of the offices of the Immigration Department. Furthermore, this visa does not allow further stay or any sort of extension, however those holding substantive visas with no further stay condition may be able to lodge applications for this visa in certain circumstances.
Source: Department of Immigration and Citizenship
(Note: The write is a registered migration agent and advises applicant to consult with a migration agent before making any visa application)